Monday, June 13, 2011

Hex Hall


Title: Hex Hall

Author: Rachel Hawkins

Date Finished: May 10, 2011

Personal Book Count: 18 out of 75

Rating: 5 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: Young Adult Fantasy

First Line: Felicia Miller was crying in the bathroom. Again.

Why did I pick this book?: I kept reading lots of buzz on the internet.

Summary and Review: taken from goodreads.com-

“Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.”

I found it interesting. The combination of witches, werewolves and fairies really pulled me in to the story. Rarely have I found a series this not-put-down-able, and it was all I could think about while I wasn't reading. This was the first in a long time. The last series I was drawn to like this was the Twilight series (I never got into Harry Potter). This one may be better. I really like the main character Sophie. I found her realistic and relatable. The story was great, with so many different things going on at one time. Many were resolved. Some weren't. And I have my predictions as to where the next book will take us, but in the interest of preventing spoilers, I'm going to keep them to myself. As happens for me with these books, I find that a big part of my reading amusement comes from the details. For example, a pot that pours the drinker’s favorite drink, or room that reflects your emotions really flares my admiration for the author and the imagination she put in. All in all, a great way to spend the weekend, I can't wait to get my hands on the next one. J

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: