Monday, January 09, 2012

unclean spirits


Title: Unclean Spirits

Author: M.L.N. Hanover

Date Finished: January 9, 2012

Personal Book Count: 1 out of 50

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: urban fantasy

First Line: It was raining in Denver the night Eric Heller died.

Why did I pick this book?: It was a gift.

Summary and Review: taken from the author's website-

Jayné Heller thinks of herself as a realist, until she discovers reality isn’t quite what she thought it was. When her uncle Eric is murdered, Jayné travels to Denver to settle his estate, only to learn that it’s all hers — and vaster than she ever imagined. And along with properties across the world and an inexhaustible fortune, Eric left her a legacy of a different kind: his unfinished business with a cabal of wizards known as the Invisible College.

Led by the ruthless Randolph Coin, the Invisible College harnesses demon spirits for their own ends of power and domination. Jayné finds it difficult to believe magic and demons can even exist, let alone be responsible for the death of her uncle. But Coin sees Eric’s heir as a threat to be eliminated by any means — magical or mundane — so Jayné had better start believing in something to save her own life.”

M.L.N. Hanover is an alias for Daniel Abraham. And I was surprised by that it was a guy, but I'm not sure why. This year (as many years) DH and I gave each other books for Christmas. They all looked good, and covered the wide gambit of my tastes. This one I was really unsure about though, but he was so excited about it, I agree to read it first. After all, not so long ago he picked me a book that got me out of a reading funk, so maybe he did know my tastes pretty well. So, I finished the pile of reviews I had to catch-up on from last year, and dove in. It was exciting. Then it was confusing. Then it was intriguing. Then it kept me from sleeping because I was a little scared. Then I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about it. And I just plain just couldn't stop turning pages. Jaynes character is the underdog. And pretty much has the maturity and mentality of a college student. And she takes you from her old life to her new one in a believable manner. The money, and the responsibility. She starts to meet people from her uncle Eric's world. And they are all 'characters' to themselves. Aubrey, Ex, Jake and Midian, all bring something to the table she needs, both emotionally and fighting the Invisible College. There was one moment when I about threw the book across the room, with a scream to wake the dead in rage (and I probably would of if it wasn't 1 am, and I was up way to late reading. Again.). I felt tricked. But, the pull of the book at that point brought me back, and I found that it was justified and explained, even if I still didn't love it. With that said, I was 7 pages from being done when DH came home today. He was handed money and immediately sent out the door for the sequel, so I could start it right away. Will it hold up to the first? Time will tell, but right now, I am REALLY hoping so...

Is there a book that sent you immediately out for the next? What and why?

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D


No comments: