Monday, May 30, 2011

The Apprentice

MINI REVIEW

Title: The Apprentice

Author: Tess Gerritsen

Date Finished: May 7, 2011

Personal Book Count: 17 out of 75

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: mystery

First Line: Today I watched a man die.

Why did I pick this book?: I loved The Surgeon and couldn’t wait to pick this one up.

Summary and Review: taken form the author's website-

“It’s a boiling summer in Boston. Adding to the city’s woes is a series of shocking crimes that end in abduction and death.

The pattern suggests one man: serial killer Warren Hoyt, recently thrown behind bars. Police can only assume an acolyte is at large, a maniac basing his attacks on the twisted medical techniques of the madman he so admires.

At least that’s what detective Jane Rizzoli thinks. Forced again to confront the killer who scarred her – literally and figuratively – she is determined to finally end Hoyt’s awful influence. Rizzoli isn’t counting on becoming a target herself.

Yet once Hoyt is suddenly free, he joins his mysterious blood brother in a vicious vendetta….”

The second book in the Rizzoli and Isles series started out as a lukewarm experience for me. It felt like more of the same as the first to me. That made it feel like a really long mystery, where you found out the bad guy half way through. Kinda anti-climatic. But I liked the characters. I will say, I love that all the characters were back. Some I loved, some not so much. I did like Dean to come in and replace Thomas. I hope we see more of him, (and I will be reading more of the series to find out). And I am happy we finally got to meet Isles. The ending was great, and it took the whole book (couple books) to a whole new level. It put the two books in a whole new light, and made it worth the read. Gerritsen may turn out to be one of my favorite authors yet.

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: