Tuesday, May 17, 2011

how i stole johnny depp's alien girlfriend



Title: How I Stole Johnny Depp’s Alien Girlfriend

Author: Gary Ghislain

Date Finished: April 30, 2011

Personal Book Count: 16 out of 75

Rating: 4 out of 5

Why did I pick this book?: received as an ARC from librarything.com

Summary and Review: taken from goodreads.com-

“David Gershwin's summer is about to take a turn for the weird. When his dad's new patient Zelda tells him she’s from outer space and on a quest to take Johnny Depp back to her planet, he knows he should run away screaming. But with one look from her mean, green eyes, David's hooked, and soon he's leaping across rooftops, running from police, and stealing cars just to stay by her side. He might not be a typical hero, but David's going to get the girl even if it takes him to the ends of the earth—or beyond.”

This book was one of those books, that when you put down at the end, you think, that was a fun ride. When it started out as a story about a French boy who has a crush on a girl that is crazy (she thinks she is an alien), it really didn’t grab me. But. It was an interesting plot. Was she, or wasn’t she crazy? And the clues that lead you back and forth on the journey, until a decision is made, are believable. The setting was in different parts of France. It was interesting to hear the author throw in the details of location, but honestly, I felt this could have taken place anywhere. David was an average guy. Which probably made him the least interesting, but we needed him to be the sanity in the middle of all the chaos. Because I think I feel he also went through the most growth. I think the girl Zelda, was a bit one dimensional, but amusing, none the less, with her wacky rituals like singing to her bellybutton and walking around in bizarre outfits. Malou (David’s sister) was a nice addition to the book, and served almost as the middle guy, between the other two, but also manipulating circumstances to her favor. The ending was quite exciting, and I found that it gave payoff to the rest of the story. But. The wrap-up, was a little lukewarm to me and vague. I don’t think it was logical, for all the characters. With that said, I look forward to reading more by this author.

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: