Tuesday, May 10, 2011

girl in the mirror


MINI REVIEW

Title: Girl in the Mirror

Author: Cecelia Ahearn

Date Finished: April 24, 2011

Personal Book Count: 15 out of 75

Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: fiction

Why did I pick this book?: I have like the couple of Ahearn books I have read, and so it peaked my interest when I saw this one on the new and notable shelf at my local library.

Summary and Review: taken from goodreads.com-

‘Girl in the Mirror

Lila knows how lucky she is to have found the man of her dreams. But when a secret from her family's past comes to light on her wedding day, her destiny changes in the most unexpected of ways…

The Memory Maker

They say you never forget your first love. But what happens when those cherished memories start to fade? Some people would do anything to hold on to the past and, for one heartbroken man, that means finding a way to relive those precious moments…’

The first story in this book was haunting. It still sticks with me now, and I find myself constantly still thinking about it. Lila is a young woman we follow, and in part her relationship with her grandmother. A terrible family secret comes to light on the day of her wedding (but it could have easily been any other day). It was creepy, but the wrap up was great and unexpected. Interesting resolution. One of the best short stories I have read in a long time.

I have to say, I may have enjoyed the second one more if I read it first. Compared to the first, I had a lukewarm reaction to it. It is about a man who invents a machine the public queues for months to get to use. They call it the memory maker, but he hates that name. He hires a wonderful woman to assist him, as his ‘business’ has gotten out of hand. But really it is all about his struggle with life. And this one did very little to surprise me. I guess my expectations were high after the first one, and I wanted more.

All in all, and enjoyable read, and I am never disappointed by Ahearn.

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: