Monday, June 07, 2010

The Burglar in the Rye



MINI REVIEW

Title: The Burglar in the Rye

Author: Lawrence Block

Date Finished: May 6, 2010

Personal Book Count: 23 out of 100

Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: mystery

First Line: The lobby was a bit worse for wear.

Why did I pick this book?: second last book in the series. : ( (are you listening Mr. Block? I am very upset by this…)

Summary and Review: taken from the authors webpage-

“The Bernie Rhodenbarr series is as light as Matthew Scudder is dark. Bernie’s a bookseller by day, a burglar by night. Unlike Matt, who grows and ages, Bernie stays the same lighthearted youthful fellow throughout. Just like his creator, come to think of it. . . Consequently, it’s less important to read the Burglar books in order. (I wrote them in order, but I didn’t have any choice.)…

…Suppose some woman had an affair in her youth with an extremely reclusive American writer. And suppose an ex-agent had arranged to sell off the letters the reclusive author had written to her. Of course nothing like that could ever happen in real life, but doesn't it sound like a job for Bernie Rhodenbarr?”

This one didn’t disappoint. I love these books. They are light and fun, and a mystery to the end. Usually surprised, he keeps me guessing all the way through. These are self contained, and wrapped up at the end. It has a continuity ‘series’ aspect, where a base cast of characters and settings carry through, but it’s not necessary to know all the history to follow it through. I read The Catcher in the Rye first, thinking it might give me insight. This as well, not necessary. In fact, I noticed more references to Salinger, which I knew about from his recent death, then the book itself. Very cute catchy title though. The one bad thing I can say about this book, is I’ll never be able to read it again for the first time.

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D
 

No comments: