Monday, May 31, 2010

Something, Maybe



Title: Something, Maybe

Author: Elizabeth Scott

Date Finished: May 4, 2010

Personal Book Count: 22 out of 100

Rating: 3 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: young adult fiction

First Line: Everyone’s seen my mother naked. Well, mostly naked.

Why did I pick this book?: saw it at the library. Rang a bell, maybe had seen in on a blog somewhere?

Summary and Review: from the authors website-

“Everyone thinks their parents are embarrassing, but Hannah knows she's got them all beat. Her dad made a fortune showing pretty girls--and his "party" lifestyle--all over the Internet, and her mom, who was once one of her dad's girlfriends, is now the star of her own website. After getting the wrong kind of attention for far too long, Hannah has learned how to stay out of sight...and that's how she likes it.
Of course, being unknown isn't helping her get noticed by gorgeous, confident Josh, who Hannah knows is her soul mate. Between trying to figure out a way to get him to notice her, dealing with her parents, and wondering why she can't stop thinking about another guy, Finn, Hannah feels like she's going crazy. She's determined to make things work out the way she wants....only what she wants may not be what she needs.”

I guess I started this, because I thought the premise could be interesting. But it turned out so much of the book bugged me. And yet, not enough to not finish. It had a love triangle that I spotted right away. Also loads of the usual teen angst. I found her relationships with her estranged father and her mother interesting, almost like she was the parent, but in very different ways. Her father spends much of their time trying to manipulate her, and her mom is full of bad advice. At one point she even tells her, don’t love anyone. At parts all I could do what shake my head, and wonder how a girl like this could be normal at all. Then it felt to me, like the ending was wrapped up well enough, but abrupt. The best I could say for this book, is it had an original background story. But maybe a girl actually in the young adult reader category would enjoy it more.

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D
 

No comments: