Wednesday, June 24, 2009

sTori Telling




Title: sTori Telling


Author: Tori Spelling


Date Finished: June 23, 2009


Personal Book Count: 42 out of 100


Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: Autobiography

First Line: Here is the part of the book where I’m supposed to say, Sure, my family had lots of money, but I had a normal childhood just like anyone else.

Summery: from the dust jacket-

“She was television's most famous virgin -- and, as Aaron Spelling's daughter, arguably its most famous case of nepotism. Portraying Donna Martin on Beverly Hills, 90210, Tori Spelling became one of the most recognizable young actresses of her generation, with a not-so-private personal life every bit as fascinating as her character's exploits. Yet years later the name Tori Spelling too often closed -- and sometimes slammed -- the same doors it had opened.

sTORI telling is Tori's chance to finally tell her side of the tabloid-worthy life she's led, and she talks about it all: her decadent childhood birthday parties, her nose job, her fairy-tale wedding to the wrong man, her so-called feud with her mother. Tori has already revealed her flair for brilliant, self-effacing satire on her VH1 show So NoTORIous and Oxygen's Tori & Dean: Inn Love, but her memoir goes deeper, into the real life behind the rumors: her complicated relationship with her parents; her struggles as an actress after 90210; her accident-prone love life; and, ultimately, her quest to define herself on her own terms.

From her over-the-top first wedding to finding new love to her much-publicized -- and misunderstood -- "disinheritance," sTORI telling is a juicy, eye-opening, enthralling look at what it really means to be Tori Spelling.”


Why did I pick this book? : I have been reading quite a few “famous peoples” auto/ biographies lately, and this one caught my eye, I think it was on a talk show.


Review: I enjoyed this book. Tori Spelling is intelligent, and witty, and can tell a great story. I found myself frequently laughing out loud, or bookmarking sections to read to DH when he was around. In conversations I would hear myself saying “Did you know that Tori Spelling…..?” or “had you heard that Aaron Spelling….?” I really enjoyed the behind the scenes peak into her life. My one complaint, it that Tori isn’t exactly….linear. She would start telling a story, and I would think, “Are we back to 90210? I thought she was married to Charlie? How old is she?” A couple times I would be lost, but in the end, it didn’t really matter, it was an entertaining story none the less. I will definitely be picking up the sequel Mommywood.

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: