Monday, June 29, 2009

Hunger Games *SPOILERS*




Title: The Hunger Games


Author: Suzanne Collins


Date Finished: June 28, 2009


Personal Book Count: 43 out of 100


Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: Young Adult

First Line: When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.

Summary: taken from jacket-

“In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen- year- old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister’s place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before- and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.”


Why did I pick this book? : Heard lots of positive reviews about this book.


Review: *SPOILERS*

What can I say? I went into this book with high expectations. I had heard so much good about it. And it did not disappoint. In the beginning. And even 2/3 through. It sucked me in at page one, and there were times this weekend I had trouble putting it down, even to sleep.

And then the rules changed. THE RULES CHANGED!!! *** And I thought, who does that? Is the author being lazy, or is this an evil plot device? That was the first time the book almost went across the room. So then I pouted. And I stomped around the house. And I grumbled to DH. And I debated walking away. But by supper, I was sucked back in by curiosity (although, I already suspected, how it was going to end, being as I heard there would be a sequel).

But then I got used to it, and thought, ok, it’s not what I would have done, but it’s working, and I think I like it more or less. And then the rules changed back. Then I felt very jerked around (although part of me did suspect it was coming). At that point I (briefly) considered book burning. DH pointed out it would probably be a bad idea, as it was a library book.

And then she broke his heart. I get the whole love triangle thing, but I felt like I had been on this journey with them, and like I was being kicked while I was down.

And then the ending… or should I say, what ending? It didn’t end so much, as the writing stopped…

I did make myself finish it before bed. On one hand, I would only have had to finish it today, and that way it was done and over. And on the other, I never would have slept. I would have tossed and turned out of frustration all night.

Don’t get me wrong. I really liked the characters. They were strong, diverse, and had clear motivations. And never did anything that made me wanna beat my head against something hard. There were enough characters to keep it interesting, but not so many that I felt confused at any point.

I don’t think I have ever had such strong feelings about a book. I was kind of amazed how angry a book could make me. I tend to be of the other spectrum. Either I love a book, or the most negative reaction it gets from me is boredom. Or apathy. Or maybe even sorrow. Let me tell you, it was not a feeling I liked. But it says something that the writing was that powerful.

I also want to add a note about the number. 2.5 feels very low and very high at the same time. How do you rate something that you liked and hated so completely at the same time? On one hand, it was can’t put down. On the other… well, I think I’ve already said enough about that.

Do I regret reading this book? Not at all. I learned. And I experienced. And it was quite a ride. But I can also say with 98% certainty, this is not one I will be reading the sequel. Or someone may have to come scrape me off the ceiling…. ;)

*** I wanna say that it isn’t only in this book that it got under my skin. Remember that season of Big Brother when they put them in to couples, only to say a few weeks later, “just kidding, it’s everyman for himself again.” What was the point? That was the premise of the whole season, and they gave up shortly in. who does that?

*END SPOILERS*

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: