Monday, November 17, 2008

I am going to take a stab at doing some book reviews. I always wanted to, but was never very good at it. I have done some searches, looked through some blogs, and read some other reviews for qualities that I like in a review. I think it is an easy format, and one I should be able to follow, I won't necessarily use all aspects every time, but it gives me a clear starting point...



Title: The Uncommon Reader

Author: Alan Bennett

First Line: At Windsor it was the evening of the state banquet as the president of France took his place beside Her Majesty, the royal family formed up behind and the procession slowly moved off and through into the Waterloo Chamber.

Date Finished: November 16, 2008

Personal Book Count: 70 for the year (out of a hopeful 100)

Rating: 3 ½ / 5

Summery: The Queen, chasing her barking dogs, comes across a library van parked outside the kitchen. She feels obligated to borrow a book, and a love or reading ensues. She promotes a young kitchen hand whom she meets in the library to help her pick books and discuss them with her, despite the fact that almost everyone else is against it, and whisper behind her back.

Why did I pick this book?: I picked this book because I had read positive reviews on it on other reading blogs.

Review: I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick easy read (at 120 pages) and seemed well suited for my sense of humor. There was a lot happening, and fascinating interactions between many different characters over the queens reading. It had many books I recognized commented on in the text, which I could relate to. It had a nice progression and a twist ending I never saw coming.

Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. =D

No comments: