Monday, July 04, 2011

it's monday! what are you reading?


This week has been really slow reading wise for me. I have been working on Heads You Lose by Lisa Lutz which I got from the library. The problem is at this time of year there never seems to be anytime in the day for reading. And at night when I crawl in bed and get ready to read, which is my routine, I have 2 dogs that decide they need to cuddle. I find it really hot, and hard to get comfortable and concentrate (anyone else?). So I try and wait for later and cooler, and stay up and do other things (lately it’s computer games so I don’t disturb anyone). Then I fall asleep when I go to bed. And then the cycle repeats.

But I have been enjoying the adventure that is Heads You Lose. It is a light, fluffy, fun book, and I have even read some of the funnier parts out to DH. It is about a brother and sister that live together (and work together growing pot), and the aftermath when a headless body shows up on their property. It is written by Lutz and her ex-boyfriend, and contains notes of bickering between the chapters (they alternate who writes them, her odd, him even). It is all good fun, and they work together (and sometimes against each other) building character stories, leaving clues, and general writing styles, commenting on each others prose.

This coming week I am expecting The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson and hopefully Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins. Hope to finish at least one of these. My goal for this summer is to read 10 book-to-movies and see the film. Hoping to start one off my list too. Ambitious? Maybe.

So what do you do to stay cool and read during the summer months?

4 comments:

Lisa (BaffledBooks/Hello Sailor) said...

I have the exact same problem. I wait until it cools down and then pass out the second my head touches the pillow. At the moment, I've either had to read early in the morning (4-7 am) or lie under the ceiling fan with the stand fan pointing at me. Sometimes I cave and just turn on the AC...

Heads You Lose sounds great! Happy reading! :)

Joy Weese Moll said...

I am hoping to buy The Last Blue Envelope at the bookstore where we're meeting to discuss 13 Little Blue Envelopes. Should be fun!

Lissa said...

Lisa- I like that! good tip. I am so used to reading at the end of the day, I never think about reading at the beginning. I am gonna have to try it...

Joy- I am a little jealous that you get to discuss it in a group. I think you could get some good conversation out of it. I hope you get a decent age range. Enjoy!

Lilie said...

I hope you enjoy Demonglass, I really loved it, I found it even better than Hex Hall. I want to read The Last Little Blue Envelope too.

Happy reading ;D

PS: Thank you for stopping by my blog :D