Monday, March 14, 2011

the elegance of the hedgehog


MINI REVIEW


Title: The Elegance of the Hedgehog


Author: Muriel Barbery


Date Finished: March 2, 2011


Personal Book Count: 7 out of 75


Rating: 3 out of 5


Genre/ Subject: fiction/literature


First Line: “Marx has completely changed the way I view the world,” declared the Pallieres boy this morning, although ordinarily he says nary a word to me.


Why did I pick this book?: it was picked as my bookclub read this month.


Review: I am still not sure how I feel about this book. As much as I enjoyed it, I have a love/hate relationship with it. Depending on the time of day, and which part of it I’m thinking about. I guess that means it is sticking with me, so that is a good thing. It is a very philosophical book, and some of the parts I felt were put in there so the author could get all her philosophical views in. in fact, I hated the first half. Because it was heavy philosophy, and little on story. It wasn't until the character Ozu showed up, that I found some story, and started to enjoy myself. By the time the end came around, I was ready for a big pay off. I felt I had invested so much of myself. And I didn't get the pay off. Or at least I didn't get the payoff I was hoping for. And the ending? Abrupt and unfinished. But I did like that language, and I did like the characters, and we did end up having some interesting discussions about it, so there were some wins. But, I don't think I will be reading any more by this author.


Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: