Thursday, February 03, 2011

deception point



Title: Deception Point


Author: Dan Brown


Date Finished: January 27, 2011


Personal Book Count: 4 out of 75


Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: suspense

First Line: Death, in this forsaken place, could come in countless forms.

Why did I pick this book?: I picked this book because some friends and I are starting a book club, and it was recommended as a first good selection.

Summary and Review: taken from back of the book-

“When a NASA satellite discovers an astonishingly rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice, the floundering space agency proclaims a much-needed victory -- a victory with profound implications for NASA policy and the impending presidential election. To verify the authenticity of the find, the White House calls upon the skills of intelligence analyst Rachel Sexton. Accompanied by a team of experts, including the charismatic scholar Michael Tolland, Rachel travels to the Arctic and uncovers the unthinkable: evidence of scientific trickery -- a bold deception that threatens to plunge the world into controversy. But before she can warn the president, Rachel and Michael are ambushed by a team of assassins. Fleeing for their lives across a desolate and lethal landscape, their only hope for survival is to discover who is behind this masterful plot. The truth, they will learn, is the most shocking deception of all.”

I read The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons when they first came out and became popular. It had been so long since I had read anything by Dan Brown, I had forgotten how much I really enjoyed his writing. As I was reading this, it struck me on a few occasions how Brown's characters tend to be a little on the perfect side. Also, sometimes in his writing things happen a little bit too conveniently. For example, he will write himself into a major earth shattering experience, that you feel there is no way out of, and then something magically happens at the 11th hour. I fell in love with the character of Corky. He is just awkward enough, and has the right amount of sarcastic attitude to make him lovable. Brown really uses humor well to dispel the tension throughout the book. I love the short chapters throughout the book, and the quick switch between many characters, it makes for a fast read with lots of suspense- it was definitely a can't-put-down book for me. Maybe it's because I have read a few other Brown's novels in the past, but I found this one a little bit predictable. For example, I didn't have any trouble picking out the bad guy despite a few red herrings. I will have to say that I found it a little bit funny that the geologist that died in the prologue was in fact a CANADIAN geologist. I'm also very intrigued by the technology used in this book. It says in the beginning that much of it does exists, and it really added great detail to the story. Things like ice bullets and miniature flying robots that recharge themselves, are details that stuck with me and gave me a lot to think about. I can't wait to read another one of Dan Brown's books and definitely won't be so long before my next one. Next time I just hope to read one not set in such a cold setting, when it is already so cold and snowy here. :-)

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: