Friday, January 14, 2011

the trouble with magic



AMAASS LINK

MINI REVIEW

Title: The Trouble with Magic


Author: Madelyn Alt


Date Finished: January 13, 2011


Personal Book Count: 3 out of 75 (4%)


Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: mystery (with a touch of paranormal)

First Line: I don’t know what it was that made me abandon my usual path to work on that particular October Tuesday.

Why did I pick this book?: I always wanted to try Alt, and then my Santa from Library thing picked this one for me =D

Summary and Review: taken from the back cover-

“Bringing a little culture to Stony Mill, Indiana, Enchantments is one of the area's finest antique shops. But shop clerk Maggie O'Neill and her employer Felicity Dow do more than conjure up curios for the locals--they each possess a talent for spellbinding sleuthing.

Bored with her office job (and subsequently fired for excessive tardiness), Maggie jumps at the opportunity to work at Enchantments. She was a little weirded out when Felicity described herself as a witch, but if her boss wants to play with broomsticks and cauldrons, where's the harm? However, Maggie's first day on the job may turn out to be her last when police question Felicity in the murder of her estranged sister.

With everyone in town proclaiming Felicity's guilt faster than the Salem Witch Trials, Maggie finds herself wondering if she'll also be tied to the stake. And lately, she's been receiving messages on a spiritual frequency guiding her to prove Felicity's innocence--and to embrace her own "charmed" life . . .”

I love a good cozy mystery, and I have been reading a lot lately. This one is the first in the series. This one is a real mystery, as in there is a list of suspects, and a bunch of clues dropped, and you can read and try and solve it. I dislike those where the bad guy comes out of left field at the end. I got really tired really quickly of hearing about ‘Hoosiers’. For a while it felt like once a page. It was like, I get it, let’s move on… I was under the impression that this book had a witch type plot. And really, although there was some, I felt it was more strongly centered around ghosts and haunting the witch. But maybe that is because I don’t know enough about it? Maybe they are closer then I am aware. I did guess the end of this one, but I have a pretty good history of being able to do that. (maybe cause I read so many?) My Santa had great taste as this WAS a gift, but not on my list. I had it on my personal list, but not on the site. I am so happy she picked this one as I REALLY enjoyed it. I will be searching more out… =D

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: