Monday, August 02, 2010

American Born Chinese



MINI REVIEW

Title: American Born Chinese

Author: Gene Luen Yang

Date Finished: June 29, 2010

Personal Book Count: 32 out of 100

Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: graphic novel

Why did I pick this book?: was recommended to me from Andi at Estella’s Revenge (who I know through twitter)

Summary and Review: A fun graphic novel, a little confusing at first, but comes together nicely by the end. 3 stories that keep alternating throughout the book. Each story has a moral. I was easily drawn in, it was easy to read. This one was easy enough to sit and read big sections of, as the story was interesting, and kept me going, but as it frequently switch between stories, it was also well set up to read a couple minutes at a time. I can’t comment on art or compare it to other graphic novels, I have not read enough to have a frame of reference. The same guy is author and illustrator. Is this unusual? I was thinking that just the fact that I noticed made it unusual. I wish I had this book when I was still working on special needs kids in the school system. I would recommend this book to any teenager or even adult that showed interest. In the future I may seek out more by this author/illustrator. =D

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: