Saturday, July 03, 2010

The Seven Year Bitch



Title: The Seven Year Bitch


Author: Jennifer Belle


Date Finished: May 28, 2010


Personal Book Count: 27 out of 100


Rating: DNF

Genre/ Subject: fiction

First Line: As I walked along Waverly Place to meet my friend Joy for dinner, I saw a girl in her twenties leisurely crossing street, and something about her brought that whole decade of my life back to me.

Why did I pick this book?: it was an uncorrected proof from librarything.com-

Summary and Review: taken from the author's website-

“What's a fabulously fun New York City girl to do when she finds herself in a matrimonial rut — disillusioned, sex life with her husband on the wane, and quickly turning into a big-time nag? No, she hasn't gotten the seven-year itch — taking care of the kids and her husband and rarely feeling that her needs come first has turned her into a seven-year bitch.”

So hard to rate a book that I enjoyed what I read, but did not finish. I really enjoyed the humor in the book. It is the type of humor where you go, oh, yeah, I can so relate to that. And I think this book IS relatable. You don’t have to be a married new mother in New York to understand the characters. I relate to it just on the merit that I am married and have a lot to juggle (like everyone these days). DH and I laugh, and joked that it could be bad for the marriage for the person READING the book. I kept turning to him and reading bits, and he would say, “oh, oh. I’m going to get in trouble for the stupidity of my gender again, aren’t I?”

But. At one point I put it down, and found I never had the interest to pick it up. I don’t think I was invested enough in the characters, or what was going to happen in the end. The one liners and funny situations just weren’t enough to carry it for me. I made it about 2/3 of the way through. It would be great for a beach or a vacation read. Interesting glimpse into New York living. Would be good for the airplane too. Who knows? Maybe if I get a holiday this year, I‘ll take it with me and finish it. =D

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: