Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Life of the Refrigerator Door



MINI REVIEW

Title: Life on the Refrigerator Door

Author: Alice Kuipers

Date Finished: March 18, 2010

Personal Book Count: 12 out of 100

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: fiction

Why did I pick this book?: noticed it one week grocery shopping, and the format caught my eye.

Summary and Review: This book is all written in notes, supposedly left on the fridge (thus, the title, heh). It covers a little less then a year in the life of a single mom and her teenage daughter. What caught my interest was the format. I like books written with a hook, like the first time I read one written all in emails. The reader is left to read between the lines in some places, but it wasn’t as difficult or confusing to follow as it could have been. Things like dinner the night before or care of the bunny are there, but left mostly to imagination. I also like how the author intertwines serious notes (to move the plot forward) along with the frivolous (like shopping lists, and a key that keeps going missing). Very fast read, that took an unexpected twist, and ended up being much more serious then I had originally thought. Worth the read.

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: