Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Catcher in the Rye



MINI REVIEW

Title: The Catcher in the Rye

Author: J.D. Salinger

Date Finished: March 31, 2010

Personal Book Count: 14 out of 100

Rating: 3 our of 5

Genre/ Subject: classic

First Line: If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.

Why did I pick this book?: It had been on my shelf for a couple years, and when Salinger died, it was the kick in the pants I needed to pull it out.

Summary and Review: taken from wikipedia page-
“The first-person narrative follows Holden Caulfield's experiences in New York City in the days following his expulsion from Pencey Prep, a fictional college preparatory school in the fictional city of Agerstown, Pennsylvania.”

How do you review a classic? (albeit a very controversial one). How do you assign it a number, and critique it? Instead I am just going to write down some thoughts that occurred to me as I was reading it.

First of all, Holden had nothing in common with me. He was a teenage boy, rich, spoiled, written long ago. It should have been hard to relate to, but was written in a voice that wasn’t. Teenagers still use the same tone now. Long sentences, that read fast, with a lot of slang. Most of it could be inferred if not known. There are many lines he crosses, but he manages to do it in a likable way. This is the type of book I would have hated in High School, if I had to read it. I could appreciate it way more as an adult, and it makes me wonder who Salinger had intended it for. I can see why some people would want it banned, as it does allude several times to suicide, and there is lots of swearing. Holden struck me as a selfish and self-centered character, that didn’t seem to grow much through the book. The story felt like it took a long time to start. I attribute that to walking in blind, not really knowing what to expect. Overall, I liked it, and I’m glad I read it, but it’s not my favorite, or one I would read over and over. =D

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: