Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Finger Lickin' Fifteen




Title: Finger Lickin’ Fifteen

Author: Janet Evanovich

Date Finished: July 5, 2009

Personal Book Count: 45 out of 100

Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: mystery

First Line: When I was a kid, I was afraid of spiders and vegetables.

Summary: From the jacket-

“Unbuckle your belt and pull up a chair. It's the spiciest, sauciest, most rib-sticking Plum yet.
Recipe for disaster:
Celebrity chef Stanley Chipotle comes to Trenton to participate in a barbecue cook-off and loses his head --literally.
Throw in some spice:
Bail bonds office worker Lula is witness to the crime, and the only one she’ll talk to is Trenton cop, Joe Morelli.
Pump up the heat:
Chipotle’s sponsor is offering a million dollar reward to anyone who can provide information leading to the capture of the killers.
Stir the pot:
Lula recruits bounty hunter Stephanie Plum to help her find the killers and collect the moolah.
Add a secret ingredient:
Stephanie Plum’s Grandma Mazur. Enough said.
Bring to a boil:
Stephanie Plum is working overtime tracking felons for the bonds office at night and snooping for security expert Carlos Manoso, A.K.A. Ranger, during the day. Can Stephanie hunt down two killers, a traitor, five skips, keep her grandmother out of the sauce, solve Ranger’s problems and not jump his bones?
Warning:
Habanero hot. So good you’ll want seconds.”

Why did I pick this book? : It is the next book in the Stephanie Plum series.

Review: I’ve seen good and bad reviews for this one, but I have to say, I liked it. This on had Lots of story lines to follow. At a few times we would return to a story line, that I had forgotten existed. Pretty typical Stephanie Plum stuff. Destroyed cars. Sexual tension. Danger. Many of our favorite characters. Lula, Grandma Mazur. Rex. And of course Morelli and Ranger. I had read somewhere that it was all clichĂ©s. (spelled right blair?) yes and no. On one hand, Evanovich does tend to find something that works for her characters, and run with it. Sometimes to the point when I felt beat over the head with it. (yes, I get that Stephanie keeps her unloaded gun it her cookie jar, and that she likes peanut butter and olive sandwiches). On the other hand, I think I would be disappointed and miss some of these things if they weren’t in there. I have come to expect blowing up cars, Ranger tracking her person and cars and coming in to save the day and Morelli showing up on scene, to help, but usually just in time to laugh at whatever Stephanie has gotten herself into this time. It’s almost comic relief, and oddly comforting. This book was mostly Ranger (LOTS of Ranger) and enough Morelli to keep a girl satisfied (if there is any such thing…) I don’t think I would recommend this book if it is your first. I think it’s not her best, and you would miss out on a lot. On the other hand, it is recommended if you have read the others. What do you mean I have to wait another year for the next one? ;)


Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: