Friday, May 15, 2009

Read My Lips




Title: Read My Lips

Author: Teri Brown

Date Finished: May 6, 2009

Personal Book Count: 37 out of 100

Rating: 3 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: young adult

First Line: What the heck? I stared at the small person waving her arms like a referee.

Summery: from the back cover-

“Popularity is as easy as a good secret.

Serena just wants to fly under the radar at her new school. But Serena is deaf, and she can read lips really well-even across the busy cafeteria. So when the popular girls discover her talent, there's no turning back.

From skater chick to cookie-cutter prep, Serena's identity has done a 180...almost. She still wants to date Miller, the school rebel, and she's not ready to trade her hoodies for pink tees just yet. But she is rising through the ranks in the school's most exclusive clique.

With each new secret she uncovers, Serena feels pressure to find out more. Reading lips has always been her greatest talent, but now Serena just feels like a gigantic snoop...”

Why did I pick this book? : I have always had an interest in the deaf culture, and when I saw this book, I wanted to read it because it combined this interest with the YA genre.

Review: Um, teen angst anyone? Serena made some very bad decisions. On the other hand the author made it believable why she would. The author covers issues that all teens face (sense of self, and wanting to fit in, ect.) Serena reminded me of a deaf teen that I once knew, and I couldn’t help feeling how much they had in common, and how much I think they would have gotten along. It was a buyable story, and I liked the style it was written in. Would defiantly liked this one as a teen, and it was ok as an adult, if you can get past the angst. =D

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: