Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hot Blooded



Title: Hot Blooded


Author: Lisa Jackson


Date Finished: April 26, 2009


Personal Book Count: 35 out of 100


Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: Romantic Suspense

First Line: “You want something special?” she asked, running the tip of her tongue over her lips provocatively.

Summery: from the back cover-

FIRST ONE DEAD BODY...

A prostitute lies strangled in a seedy French Quarter hotel room. Miles away, in a rambling plantation house on the sultry shores of Lake Ponchartrain, popular late-night radio host Dr. Samantha Leeds receives a threatening crank call. All in a day's work for a celebrity. Who would think to link the two?

THEN ANOTHER...

A second hooker's corpse turns up. Samantha's ominous caller persists, along with a mysterious female claiming to be a woman from her past — a woman who's been dead for years. With Detective Rick Bentz convinced that the serial killer prowling the shadowy streets of New Orleans is somebody close to Samantha, she doesn't dare trust anyone. Especially not Ty Wheeler, her seductive new neighbor who seems to know more about her than a stranger should.

...AND ANOTHER

Somebody has discovered Samantha's darkest secret. Somebody is convinced that lives must be sacrificed to pay for her sins. So far, the victims have been strangers. But as a cunning, cold-blooded killer grows bolder, Samantha wonders in dread if she will be the next to die...”


Why did I pick this book? : Lisa Jackson is a new author to me, and I have this quirk where I always like to start at the beginning of a series, or with the first work published.


Review: This is the epitome of what I like it my romance suspense. I’m not sure what took me so long to try her work, as a few different people recommended her. This one took me a while to read, as I was partly savoring it (as my first L.J.) and partly had to keep putting it down and picking it up as ‘obligation’ reads (ARCs, library reads, ect,) kept arriving.

I’m really glad that this was the first in a series. I really liked the characters, and the setting, and hope to see more of them. (I’m gonna miss Ty, Yummy!) I thought Rick was a bit harsh, I’m hoping he grows on me… Montoya was a bit of a non-character, I look forward to getting to know him a bit better.

It will be interesting, because I would have said that Sam and Ty were the protagonists, and they are gone in the next one (if I understand correctly) and Rick Bentz and Montoya are brought to the front. I look forward to the transition (or lack there of) for that too.

New Orleans has always been of interest to me, and some where I would like to visit. I’m interested to see how she deals with Hurricane Katrina. This book was written pre-Katrina. I wonder how she deals with New Orleans post-Katrina. Does she completely ignore it, or address it somehow?

The hard part is going to be deciding which of her books to read next. Do I read the next in the series (Cold Blooded) or read Wicked Game which she wrote with her sister, Nancy Bush (another author I really like).

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: