Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.



Title: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret.

Author: Judy Blume

Date Finished: February 4, 2009

Personal Book Count: 11 out of 100

Rating: 3 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: Juvenile Fiction

First Line: Are you there God? It’s me, Margaret. We’re moving today.

Summery: From the back cover:

No one ever told Margaret Simon that eleven-going-on-twelve would be such a hard age. When her family moves to New Jersey, she has to adjust to life in the suburbs, a different school, and a whole new group of friends. Everything is changing. And there are some things about growing up that are hard to talk about, even with you best friends. So Margaret finds someone else to talk to.

Are you there God? It’s me, Margaret. I can’t wait until two o’clock God. That’s when our dance starts. Do you think I’ll get Philip Leroy for a partner? It’s not so much that I like him as a person God, but as a boy he’s very handsome. And I’d love to dance with him… just once or twice. Thank you God.

Why did I pick this book? : For the Lost Books Challenge. It fit the requirements, and I had it on my shelf, meaning to read it anyway.

Review: I thought this read was going to be a new one to me. One I had missed when growing up. But as I read through it, I found it very familiar. It was a cute little somewhat relatable story (which pre-teen girl hasn’t been there?). I did find it a little bit dated. My big complaint would be, maybe there was too much in it. Moving, boys, your first period and religion? I think it would be just as good if you left out one or two of the topics. Or at least tie them together better. Just my opinion.

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: