Saturday, January 03, 2009

P.S. I Love You




Title: P.S. I Love You

Author: Cecelia Ahern

Date Finished: January 3, 2009

Personal Book Count: 1 out of 100

Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: fiction

First Line: Holly held the blue cotton sweater to her face and the familiar smell immediately struck her, and overwhelming grief knotting her stomach and pulling at her heart.

Summery: Holly’s husband dies, but helps her move on through notes he wrote her before he died, one a month for a year.

Why did I pick this book? : The movie looked great, and I always wanted to try an Ahern book.

Review: I loved this book up until the end. It felt like there was a huge build up for 500 pages and then it took a turn. It felt, I don’t know, like a let down? Unfinished? Unsatisfying?

It was what I would call a comfort read. It was a bit predictable at times, had some laugh-out-loud moments, and was one that is just kind fun to go with the flow. A nice story, but not earth shattering or deep. I enjoyed most of the characters, and am interested to see how they transfer to the big screen. I will definitely be reading more by this author. Would recommend to anyone who likes a nice quick, light read, having romantic tones, but not really a romance.


Edited for Vagueness: So, hopefully in trying to undo my vague first attempt, I don't post any spoilers. That is the balance isn't it? Fine line. So the book was set in Ireland (I don't know if the movie was or not), but in my mind, I kept picturing it in the states. Maybe cause I know who is in the movie, and most of those actors are American? As I read through the book, I found myself anticipating the notes along with the characters, although I found many of them to be the logical next step for the character, so no huge surprises. I liked the fact there were many characters, and it explored many relationships in her life, from mother, to brother, to different kinds of friends, to bosses and co-workers to thinking about dating again. The ending was disappointing in that it wasn't comfortable or predictable. It wasn't what it had been built up to be. With that said, I like the independence of it all, and I that it more or less circled around. without any spoilers if you haven't read it, I was never happy with the way that one section ended. So, I think that is all I want to say, and thank you for your patience with my rambling. I feel a little better now that it's 'fixed'. =D

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. =D

No comments: