Thursday, January 29, 2009

Burglar in the Library



Title: The Burglar in the Library

Author: Lawrence Block

Date Finished: January 29, 2009

Personal Book Count: 8 out of 100

Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: Mystery

First Line: At three in the afternoon on the first Thursday in March, I got Barnegat Books settled in for the weekend.

Summery: Bernie Rhodenbarr and his friend Carolyn go out of town for the weekend to a New England Inn. He has deduced there is a first edition copy of The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler there, and he plans to steal it. That is before his fellow guests start turning up dead, and his attention is diverted to solve the mystery.

Why did I pick this book? : I am reading through all the burglar series.

Review: Not my favorite in the series, but an enjoyable read none the less. I had a friend who started with this one, and although it’s ok, I’m glad it wasn’t my first. It had the same cozy feel, with the comfortable wit of Bernie’s that I have grown used to. I am really gonna hate it when I get to the end of the series. They have a sort of ‘good guy wins’ vibe (except of course for the dead guys) to it that I have really grown to like. This one was no exception. I think I’m even going to miss Carolyn and Raffles the cat. Gotta say the ending wasn’t as satisfactory on this one as I liked. I like nice neat ends.

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I love the Bernie Rhoddenbarr books! He is an unlikely hero, I think, but that makes the books only better... I'm not as far in the series as you, though, because I only buy the next in series when my book shop has them in stock. Maybe I should change this?