Tuesday, December 06, 2005

sock clubs, socks and crime

Wow! Time is really starting to get away from me now that Christmas is getting closer. Where did Sunday go? Any way, enough babble and on to the good stuff.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I switched sock of the month clubs. I really liked the one I had, because it uses gorgeous Opal yarn, but I found the patterns didn't work for me. So this new club (links to both on sidebar) uses a variety of yarns, which is kind of appealing because I get to try new things. I like the way this pattern looks, and I'm hoping it works a little better for me. It actually came in a plastic sheet. Also, the yarn came individually wrapped in tissue paper. It also combines 2 colors (and yarns) in a way that I have never thought of doing. I'll let you know how it goes when I start to knit it up.



First I have to finish a couple of pairs, or these socks are just going to get away from me! I have a pair of Wendy's toe ups going (see previous entry) made with scraps of Regia from a pair I make a long time ago, I'm picturing these being anklets, but we'll see how cold I am and how much yarn I have left when I get there!

I also have ripped back my black and white pair of Opals for the third time. As much as I try and trust the pattern, I could not see a pair of socks where I cast on 72 stitches working for me. I know, it probably would have worked out fine, but I'm such a chicken. So now I'm tweaking a version of the columbine peak socks, from Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles by Cat Bordi. I only have 5 of each on the mountains going around, and then I decided I wanted a shorter sock, so only did 2 pattern repeats. Here it is so far, although I have worked my way through the heel flap since this picture was taken. Also I tried to catch the detail, but as we don't have much light these days, this is the best I could get.






I am currently reading Grilling Season by Diane Mott Davidson. It is a cute, light mystery, about the 6th in the series. It's got an amateur detective (who is really a caterer) that fakes her way through these mysteries, to the annoyance of her cop husband. There are recipes scattered throughout the book, and apparently they work, although I have never tired one for myself. This one is interesting because her ex is the suspect in this latest crime, and her son wants her to help clear his name. So far, a good before bed read.

Speaking of which, it's about that time. G'night!

(written on Monday, not posted until Tuesday, couldn't get on blogger)

No comments: