Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ender's Game


Title: Ender's Game

Author: Orson Scott Card

Date Finished: December 13, 2011

Personal Book Count: 44 out of 75

Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: science fiction. Nebula and Hugo Award Winner .

First Line: “I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one. Or at least as close as we're going to get.”

Why did I pick this book?: my husband told me I had to read it.

Summary and Review: taken from the author's website-

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin thinks he is playing computer simulated war games; he is, in fact, engaged in something far more desperate. The result of genetic experimentation, Ender may be the military genius Earth desperately needs in a war against an alien enemy seeking to destroy all human life. The only way to find out is to throw Ender into ever harsher training, to chip away and find the diamond inside, or destroy him utterly. Ender Wiggin is six years old when it begins. He will grow up fast.”

I found the ending lukewarm compared to the rest of the book, and it did nothing to make me less angry. I felt manipulated. But then, an old phrase came back to me 'hate the characters, not the book'. And I realized that if the book made me this angry, it meant I loved it, it was the actions of some I didn't like. The giant thing was just weird. I really am still not sure what to make of it. I was a little surprised to see that it had been written in 1985. I think the fantasy and technology is as solid now as it was 25 years ago. There was nothing in it to date it. I found the writing was simple (in a good way, not simplistic). It was descriptive, but not flowery. Not to be confused with the themes and concepts, which were not simple at all. I will say in the beginning I was very frustrated with the anonymous people talking, at the beginning of each chapter. The two voices seemed unnecessary. It made me emotional they were trying to constantly 'kick' Ender and bring him down. It felt very frustrating. My favorite part was probably the battleroom scenes, and I think the whole book was probably worth reading for those. I love it, and was a little sad when he had to move on. I don’t know if the ending is enough to make me read the sequel or not. It kind of feels like a cheap lead in to the next one, which would have to be completely different. With that said , it makes me feel really tired. As good as it was, it was a lot of work for me to understand the science and politics, and even picturing some of the battles in my head. I think I need a break, with something a bit lighter. I probably will do the sequel, but not for a while. Maybe DH and I will do it together :)

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D



No comments: