Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Where Rainbows End


Title: Where Rainbows End

Author: Cecelia Ahern

Date Finished: September 20, 2011

Personal Book Count: 33 out of 75

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: fiction

First Line: To Alex You are invited to my 7th birthday party on Tuesday the 8th of April in my house.

Why did I pick this book?: I like Ahern's writing. They tend to be light, fun, quick reads.

Summary and Review: summary taken from goodreads.com-

From naughty children to rebellious teenagers, Rosie and Alex have stuck by each other through thick and thin. But just as as they're discovering the joys of teenage nights on the town and dating disasters, they're separated. Alex's family move from Dublin to America - and Alex goes with them. For good.

Rosie's lost without him. But on the eve of her departure to join Alex in Boston, Rosie gets news that will change her life forever - and keep her at home in Ireland.”

I think I have said quite a bit about this book on here already. I will start off by saying, the more I read from Ahern, the more I enjoy. I like the type of humor she infuses her books with (maybe it's because she is Irish?). They are light, easy to read, and move quickly. There was no exception with this book. The whole thing is written with different types of correspondence. Yes, this has been done before, but this felt different as it amalgamated letters, emails, postcards, instant messages, and even birthday cards. Yet the story still felt rich and full. I loved both Rosie and Alex. Sometimes wanted to give them a head-smack because of their choices, but that was only because I knew more then either of them did. From their point of view, it was the right choice, so I never felt frustrated. I felt like I even got to know their families. It kind of amazes me how much I DID get to know about their lives from only reading their correspondence. Looking back though, I realize that I don't know much about the setting (either Boston or Dublin). Was it the authors choice to be vague, or was it just not the best way to convey this? Or maybe it is not strong in my memory. (It was almost a month ago I read this). Maybe those details have just faded. The theme of unrequited love is not a new one, but I like the twist she put on this, being a long distance love, and being unrequited by different main characters at different times. The book takes place over a large chunk of their lifetimes. It doesn't start at the beginning (I believe they are 7) and neither die, but I believe they are in their 50's. I wonder if ones perception of this book would be different if you read it as a 10 year old, 30 year old, 50 year old. Last but not least, I enjoyed the 'echo' feeling of this book. Many thing that happen once, are echoed further along in the book. It gives a nice continuity, and a new perspective. Some with the same results, some with a 'path not taken' feel. As I said earlier, I really like this author, and will definitely be reading more of her works. In fact, writing this review makes me want to go track one down now. =D

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D


No comments: