Monday, September 19, 2011

the awakening



Title: The Awakening

Author: Kelley Armstrong

Date Finished: July 28, 2011

Personal Book Count: 27 out of 75

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: Young Adult/ Supernatural

First Line: When the door to my cell clicked open, the first thought that flitted through my doped-up brain was that Liz had changed her mind and come back.

Why did I pick this book?: It is the second one in the series. The first had such an intriguing ending, I had to keep going.

Summary and Review:

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK*

from the author's website-

If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl—someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I’m as far away from normal as it gets. I’m a living science experiment—not only can I see ghosts, but I can raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever. I’m running for my life with three of my supernatural friends and we have to find someone who can help us gain our freedom back before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.”

In my opinion, this book is way better than the first. That could be cause there is more story than back story, or I am just more into it. This one (the second book in the series) takes place in “the world” with the teens on their own. I think it is in this one I can really see the teens starting to bond as a team. They are starting to build individual relationships between different members of the team, and through this, learning to trust each other. um. Did anyone else noticed they are obsessed with energy bars? I know it's not like they have time to stop to eat, or can't afford a real restaurant, but really? I stopped counting how many times the author brought them up. It became distracting. I was wondering why they couldn't find a granola bar or fruit snack or something. The love triangle vibe I am starting to feel? Not cool. Triangles are bad enough, but between 'brothers'? I guess it's an ongoing thing she can drag out, to keep the readers guessing, but for me it works the opposite. I find myself wanting to stop reading. (but I am assuming it's an age thing). Most of the book was spent looking for trustworthy adults. It made me wonder. If you find adults you think you can trust, do things really get better? And the bat scene? It was really creepy (not sure if that is in a good way or a bad way yet). I had to stop reading and walk away for a bit. It STILL makes me itch to think about. And one more thing? Enough with the (un)dead animals. The whole attitude of 'Let's go out to the forest and find dead things, so we can practice raising them, and pushing them back'. I kind of get, but twisted and disturbing. But with all that said, pretty good series, that I will continue with, for at least one more book.

*END SPOILERS*

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D


No comments: