Sunday, January 02, 2011

Christmas Cookie Murder



Title: Christmas Cookie Murder

Author: Leslie Meier

Date Finished: January 1, 2011

Personal Book Count: 1 out of 75

Rating: 3 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: mystery

First Line: “I’d rather die.”

Why did I pick this book?: Meier is an author I have been meaning to try for quite a while. When I found a Christmas one, I thought the timing was perfect!

Summary and Review: Well. First impressions. I had a great deal of trouble relating to the main character. A mom in a small fishing town, with 4 children? No where near my life, but as I went, I found it wasn’t necessary to relate to Lucy Stone to enjoy the story. Set around Christmas time, Lucy is hosting this year’s cookie exchange, which was a great opportunity to get to know many of the characters. A humorous calamity (I won’t spoil the surprise for you) happens at the exchange, and we get to see many of the women’s true colors. The sometime over the next couple days, one of Lucy’s new friends is murdered, and as much as she tried to resist, she is drawn into the investigation, first by a friends pleading for help (apparently, she has done this type of thing before) and then by her own curiosity. Many of the characters don’t have time to develop, and there are so many of them, and they don’t get much face time. But that too could be because I started mid-series. I found myself drawn in, intrigued by the setting and lifestyle. And I did recognize many of the foibles of a small town. And they amused me. And in this case, the ending truly blindsided me. I don’t know if I will be hunting out any more of these to read, although if it was offered to me, I wouldn’t turn it down. And I am glad I read this one. It was a nice addition to my holiday break. =D

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D


No comments: