Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Read a thon books.

Yes, I am a little behind. Between NaNoWriMo and Christmas prep, i haven't been on top of my blogging and reviewing, but am hoping ot catch up, and fix that over the next couple weeks, so i can start fresh in the new year... so here are my reads from the readathon...


Title: Sarah, Plain and Tall


Author: Patricia MacLachlan


Date Finished: October 9, 2010


Personal Book Count: 46 out of 100


Summary and Review: I loved this story. A man with 2 children mail orders a bride. Told from the perspective```` of the daughter. It is a sweet story, and was pleased to see it was a Newbery Medal winner.


Title: Mrs. Whippy


Author: Cecelia Ahern


Date Finished: October 9, 2010


Personal Book Count: 47 out of 100


Summary and Review: A “sweet” (no pun intended) short story by an author I really like. When Emelda's husband leaves, she decided to move on, and eventually starts a relationship with the ice cream man. And I like that the proceeds of this series of books go to a charity of the authors choice.


Title: The Well


Author: Mildred D. Taylor


Date Finished: October 9, 2010


Personal Book Count: 48 out of 100


Summary and Review: The Well was very well written, and at some points I was surprised it was written for middle school students. Themes in this book are racism, respecting your elders, and working as a community to get through the bad times. Sometimes it was heavy, but a read that touched me and I don't think I will ever forget.


Title: The Pearl


Author: John Steinbeck


Date Finished: October 9, 2010


Personal Book Count: 49 out of 100


Summary and Review: This book was a classic. That is about the best thing I can say about it. It was horrible. I think that was the most abused baby in the history of novels. I know it was supposed to teach a lesson, but it was a sad book, that kept getting worse. I kept waiting for some happy, which never really came. But, a good way to dip a toe into Steinbeck.


Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: