Tuesday, January 05, 2010

One Hex of a Wedding





Title: One Hex of a wedding


Author: Yasmine Galenorn


Date Finished: January 1, 2010


Personal Book Count: 1 out of 100


Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre/ Subject: mystery

First Line: The party was in full swing when Harlow grabbed the microphone and motioned for the Barry Boys to take a break from the ‘80s retro dance numbers they were playing.

Summary: from the authors website-

“Emerald O'Brien is about to tie the knot with her fiance Joe, but one uninvited guest to their engagement party reminds her that some ties still need to be severed. Her ex-hubby Roy can't hold his liquor--or his temper--and after brawling with Joe, he threatens to ruin their wedding. When Joe is wounded from a gunshot the next day, Roy becomes the prime suspect. Emerald knows her ex has a mean streak a mile wide but doesn't believe he'd be capable of attempted murder. And when a sinister presence starts stalking her maid of honor, Em begins to worry that her marriage has been cursed before she's even walked down the aisle…”


Why did I pick this book? : I got this book for Christmas.


Review: Charming. A cozy mystery that grabbed me right off the bat. I have the say that the witch aspect of it was not overly obtrusive in the beginning, but really shocked me when it did come up. Then toward the end, I was used to it. But maybe it’s just me, and a sign I haven’t read many mysteries that contain supernatural aspects in them. It was a quick read, and it was one that I could just let go and enjoy the journey, and not have to over analyze to keep up. I love the diversity of characters. Witches, bikers, children, and Indian medicine woman, ex’s, and police and paramedics, sometimes with their girlfriends. Many are one dimensional characters, but it still makes for a fun journey. If I had it to do over, I think I would start at the beginning of the series. This book does stand alone fairly well, but I was often distracted by details you know are alluding to a previous book. It tended to throw me off. I enjoyed this book and I would probably read another one if I came across it in the library, but I don’t think I will go out and intentionally seek it out.

If you have read any others in this series, please let me know what you thought, I would be interesting to hear your thoughts =D

Agree? Disagree? Recommendations? Any insights, suggestions, or comments on the book or format, or blog at all are most welcome. If you have read this and/ or review it yourself, please let me know. Can you think of any books like this? Give me a recommendation! =D

No comments: