Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Weekend from hell…

It was not a good few days. Saturday DH worked until about 5:30, and then had the hockey game that night. He got home about 11:30, so it was a late night.

Sunday was rush around and try and get 2 days worth of stuff done in 1. We did it. Sunday night after supper, DH was doing the dishes and I noticed the dog was licking his paw. It was awfully pink and wet, and he wouldn’t leave it alone. I couldn’t see a sore, but it looked like there was less fur. After much talk it was close to midnight before we decided what to do. We decided it wasn’t bad enough to go to emergency, but it would have to be looked at, as he wouldn’t leave it alone. DH would call and go in a little late. It was the first of the month and a Monday, both of which are bad/ busy days on there own here, but this month they had to be combined (Murphy’s fault)…

It turned out that he had irritated and licked his foot so much he developed a ‘hot spot’. The more he licks, the worse it gets, so the more he licks, etc. They gave him pills, some cream, and yes, a cone. My dog is a cone head. He is about a foot high, and the cone is just about as big. And now he can’t eat by himself. Or drink. Or turn around. He can’t see so he walks in to things. Or do stairs (did I mention we have 4 sets in my house?). Which means he gets carried everywhere. And he has become mega suck-y dog. Usually content to be at my feet or beside me on the couch, he now insists on being in my lap. 24/7. And he can’t get as close as he would like to be with his cone, so he is constantly ramming it in to me.

So Monday and Tuesday DH worked late, to make up for the missed time (about an hour and a half) on Monday, and to finish the projections he started on Saturday.

Ok, so far life is uncomfortable, but manageable. Then Tuesday I got sick. Just a cold I think, but I slept for 16 hours. That was around cuddling, carrying, feeding, bathroom runs, medicating, and anything else required.

Knitting? Ha! Movies? Ha! Reading? Ha!

It’s ok, things are looking up, Cooper is sleeping less. I am sleeping less. Tonight is game 7 in the series. Once we wipe out Anaheim, we can have and battle of the province, and show those Edmonton Oilers who really rules around here! And rumor has it Dh may be taking this afternoon off because of all the extra hours he has been working. Maybe I can talk him in to taking a shift with the dog so I can knit…

Pictures later…

No comments: